Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Week 5 - Volta Region Part 3

Where the water flows forever..

Our last day may have been the most epic! Bright and early on Sunday, the crew and I met with the expedition guide to go to the upper falls at Wli (pronounced vlee). He warned us that it was going to be a tough hike but in no way did believe a word he said. I figured it be a walk in the park in comparison to all we already had been though the past couple of days. We picked up some water and some bananas and began our ventured into the jungle once again. After 40 min of walking with no incline, we arrived at a cross path where our guide distributed walking sticks. He said to us, "this is where we start".
Still not convinced at how hard this hike could possibly be, we entered onto a path which veered off the initial walking trail. After 15 min, i was drenched with sweat, my legs were sore and my bag seemed to get heavier and heavier. It soon became apparent to me that our guide had not exaggerated one bit! This hike was ridiculous! We had been climbing straight up for an hour and a half with almost no plateaus to rest on. There were large spiders, steep cliffs, fallen trees, slippery rocks and so on. You name anything that could have made this climb difficult, it was there! After 2 and a half hours, we finally arrived to the upper falls and let me tell you, I felt like the scenery was straight out of a movie! Every sore and ache i felt in my body was worth what i was experiencing at that moment. The wind was blowing against my face from the crashing of the water, the splashing sound was calmingly unfamiliar and a cool mist filled the air. Completely untouched by any sort of tourism development, the beauty of this place was indescribable! The falls looks amazing in pictures but in real life, it is out of this world! Chris and I, eagerly jumped into the fresh water (which was drinkable) and climbed the large boulders on the side of the falls. Shortly after, we slowly walked into the crashing water where we had the best shower of our lives. We made it all the way though touching the back wall which was absolute insanity. After spending some time at the upper falls, we headed back to the lodge and head back to Accra. Like I said earlier, probably the most adventurous weekend of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment